Children’s Care, Playwork, Learning and Development
This course is suitable for someone who wishes to develop their role within a childcare setting. It assesses and develops the knowledge and skills of those employed in a wide range of children and young people settings covering the age range of 0-19.
Who is this Qualification for?
This qualification is aimed at post-16 learners in Wales, working or seeking to work, in regulated childcare settings with families and children under the age of 8. This qualification is accessible to all who wish to undertake it, with any barriers which may restrict access and/or progression being identified and supported to ensure equality of opportunity.
What are the potential job roles for those with this qualification?
•Care worker Childminder
•Cylch Meithrin Leader
•Early Years Practitioner Nursery Practitioner/Manager
•Out of School Childcare Practitioner
•Manager Playgroup Leader
How is the qualification structured?
To achieve the Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice learners must achieve a minimum of 50 credits in total;
- 30 credits must be achieved from the Mandatory group
- A minimum of 4 credits must be achieved from Optional Group A
- The balance of 16 credits can be achieved from units in Optional Groups A, B or C
The mandatory units are as follows:
- 300 – Promoting Core practice in children’s care, play, learning and development
- 301 – Prompting play, learning, growth and development
- 302 – Prompting nutrition and hydration in early years
- 303 – Responding to childhood illness, infestation/infection, disease and immunisation
*Please note learners must complete the Level 2 in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core qualification prior to or alongside this qualification.
Optional units will be discussed with learners and selection based on specific job roles.
- City & Guilds / WJEC – Level 2 in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice
- City & Guilds / WJEC – Level 2 in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core*
- Guilds / WJEC – Essential Skill in Application of Number Level 2
- City & Guilds / WJEC – Essential Skill in Communication Level 3
*Unless previously achieved.
What are the benefits of this qualification?
Learners who achieve the Level 3 in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice, will have also achieved the Level 2 in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core. This means they will be a recognised level 3 practitioner. At this stage learners may progress on to higher level learning, from the City & Guild / WJEC consortium.
Completion of this qualification is a maximum of 15 months.